UCSC Hires Carl Simonson as Assistant Head Coach!
The University of Calgary Swim Club is pleased to announce the hiring of Carl Simonson as the Assistant Head Coach effective September 1, 2012.
Most recently, Carl was the Head Coach of the Olympian Swim Club in Edmonton. In this role for the past eight years, Carl developed one of the Top Age Group clubs in Canada. Fostering a positive team environment with a focus on training, technique, and the employment of sport science philosophy. Success was witnessed locally, provincially, and nationally.
Carl’s recent career and volunteer highlights include:
• Head Coach of the Olympian Swim Club (OSC)
• Multiple Age Group National and Western Canadian Championship Titles
• Placed Swimmers on 2010 Pan Pacific Championship and other National Teams
• National Medalists and Finalists in both men’s and women’s events as well as in every stroke discipline
• Every season at OSC he had swimmers on Provincial and National Teams representing Alberta and Canada
• Head Coach of Alberta’s 2009 Canada Games Team
• Alberta Provincial Stroke Coach
• Elected Executive Member of the Alberta Coaches Council
• NCCP Level 3 Certified
An experienced Canadian Swim Coach with a proven record of building successful teams and an ability to effectively manage a large swim club, Carl is a welcome addition to the UCSC Coaching Staff.
UCSC Hires Full Time Manager of Operations!
The University of Calgary Swim Club is pleased to announce Sureen Gosal as the full time Manager of Operations for the University of Calgary Swim Club (“UCSC”) and the University of Calgary Varsity Swim teams.
“We are pleased that we have been able to add a full time management position to our organization, and thrilled that Sureen will be taking on this role to enhance the strong leadership and technical team that we already have in place” says Mike Blondal, Head Coach and Director of Swimming.
Sureen has a broad background in athlete, board, business, club, coach, and volunteer development. His track record and experiences makes him the ideal choice to take on this full time role. Most recently, Sureen has been the Youth Age Group coach and part time manager for UCSC over the last two years. Prior to this, he was the General Manager of Island Swimming in Victoria, BC.
“I am excited that UCSC has been able to add a full time management position to the organization, and I look forward to working with Mike Blondal and the rest of the staff, board, and volunteers in my new role.” says Gosal. UCSC has a strong history of success in Canadian swimming, and I am excited to be an integral part of UCSC’s mission of Swimming to First: Achieving Excellence at all levels”.
Sureen’s recent career and volunteer highlights include:
• Vice President, Southern Region of Swim Alberta (current);
• Director, Calgary Foundation of Swimming Excellence (current);
• Youth Age Group Coach/Manager, UCSC (current);
• General Manager, Island Swimming (Victoria, BC);
• Chair, Nations Cup International Competition (2010); and
• Co-Chair, Western Canadian Swimming Championships (2008).
The University of Calgary Swim Club is one of the most successful swimming programs in Canada, and operates out of four pools in Calgary, Alberta. UCSC is a year round swim team that supports and develops over 425 swimmers through the Development (ages six and above), Age Group, Varsity, Senior National, and International Programs. UCSC is a partner with the University of Calgary Dinos, and the Calgary National Swim Centre.